To evaluate our unit on Discourse and Rhetoric, all students must produce a short, original and PERSUASIVE speech, which will be based on a given theme.
Themes will be discussed in class to generate ideas for how you might want to build your speech.
- Your speech must be a minimum of 1 minute, and maximum of 2 minutes.
- You must use at least one of the rhetorical devices or means of persuasion we talked about, however you are encouraged to use more.
- 7th-8th Grades, your speech must be in English. 9th-11th Grades, your speech may be in any language you wish.
- Your speech must be persuasive.
Speeches will begin the week of April 26th. *Students may even wish to wear outfits or costumes appropriate to their speeches. Take it seriously, but have some fun with it!
THEMES: *NOTE: How you approach the theme and the examples you use is completely up to you! But you should choose to agree or disagree with the statement, and avoid being neutral as this is a persuasive speech!
GRAPHIC ORGANIZER (Copy Books):
|Agree or Disagree:|
|What the evidence shows (Explanation):|
7th Grade – OPTION 1. ¨Rousseau’s Social Contract is important for our security.¨
OPTION 2. ¨Selective breeding, artificial selection and geneticly modified organisims are good for society.¨ (related to recent work in Natural Sciences)
8th Grade – ¨There is no growth without change.¨ (related to recent work in English)
9th Grade – ¨Early Eastern civilizations have had a more profound impact on modern society than early Western civilizations.¨ (related to recent work in Social Studies)
10th Grade – ¨Patriotism is cute; Nationalism is scary.¨ (related to recent work in Social Studies)
11th Grade – ¨¿Qué onda con la nueva constitución?¨ (related to recent work in Social Studies and Current Events Topics)
AND SUPPLEMENTARY DISCUSSION TEXTS:
- Reading: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/11/rousseau-man-born-free-social-contract
and: (only first paragraph) http://wallace.genetics.uga.edu/groups/evol3000/wiki/ce8b9/Selective_Breeding_or_Artificial_Selection.html
- video (only some parts):
- Reading: http://www.asiancemagazine.com/node/888
- Reading: http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/why-i-choose-to-patriotism-over-nationalism/